Brooklyn Dodgers president Charles Ebbets announces his intention to purchase land in the Pigtown section of Brooklyn, which a new 30,000-seat stadium will be built. Construction on the ballpark will start on March 14. Ebbets decides to name the ballpark after himself, thus it is called Ebbets Field. Completed in just over a year, opening day will be on April 9, 1913.
Ebbets Field will open up in 1913. During the year he will ease his pinched financial condition by selling half the team to Ed and Steve McKeever.