Exposition Park (sometimes called Exposition Park III) was a baseball park in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania from 1890 to circa 1915. It was located on the north side of the Allegheny River across from Pittsburgh's downtown area. Prior to the construction of this version of Exposition Park, two previous ballparks of the same name were similarly situated along the Allegheny. Due to flooding from the nearby river, the three stadiums' exact locations varied somewhat. The final version of the ballpark was between the eventual sites of Three Rivers Stadium and PNC Park, somewhat closer to the Three Rivers site.
Built for use of the Pittsburgh Burghers of the Players' League, the third incarnation of Exposition Park was the second home of the Pittsburg Pirates (during those years the team and the city were known as Pittsburg, with no "H"), the city's Major League Baseball (MLB) franchise. The Pirates played home games at the stadium from 1891 to 1909, when they moved to Forbes Field. In 1903, Exposition Park was the first National League ballpark to host a World Series game. The Western University of Pennsylvania (WUP)—known today as the University of Pittsburgh—played home football games at Exposition Park, and also used the park as a home field for the university's baseball team.
Exposition Park I and II
The first stadium known as Exposition Park was built in Allegheny, Pennsylvania—which was annexed by the city of Pittsburgh and later became known as the North Side—along the Allegheny River. Named for other "expositions" that would be shown there, including horse racing and circuses, it was the first venue in Pittsburgh that hosted baseball. In 1882, the Pittsburgh Pirates—then known simply as Allegheny, or informally as "the Alleghenys"—began play at Exposition Park, however, after one season a fire and flooding of the field from the nearby River forced a second park to be built. Despite its reason for construction Exposition Park II was built closer to the River. The Alleghenys played at the second incarnation of the park until they moved to Recreation Park in 1884, which was several blocks north and out of the flood plain.
The Pirates — 1901–1903
While the Pittsburgh Pirates were playing home games at Recreation Park, owners John Beemer and M. B. Lennon of the Pittsburgh Burghers constructed a baseball park near the former site of Exposition Park I and II—approximately two blocks west of the current PNC Park. The stadium included a roofed wooden grandstand around the infield, and open bleacher sections extending to the right and left field corners. Total capacity was about 10,000 spectators. The seats faced the Allegheny River and the Point. The Burghers played at the stadium during the 1890 Players' League season—the team and league's only season in existence. The Pirates moved to Exposition Park the following season. In 1906, the Pirates were the first baseball team to cover their field with a tarp during inclement weather, and though the field was kept dry from the rain, the Allegheny River still caused problems.
Flooding sometimes covered the entire outfield with inches of standing water, causing ground rules that gave any ground ball hit into the outfield an automatic single. Exposition Park was 450 feet (137 m) to the center field fence and 400 feet (122 m) in left and right field. Ham Hyatt is believed to be the only person to hit a ball over the right field fence. Monument Hill, which overlooked the field, allowed spectators a free view of the game. In 1908, due to the large amounts of people that attended Pirates's games, team owner Barney Dreyfuss began looking for a location to construct a new Pirates stadium. The Pirates's final game at the stadium was played in 1909, the Pirates defeated the Cubs who they played the following day to open up Forbes Field. In 1914, the Pittsburgh Rebels began play at Exposition Park. In 1915, the Rebels—despite improving from the previous season—disbanded due to financial loss (as did the entire Federal League). Exposition Park continued to host Semi-professional baseball games, as well as other events, but "was eventually razed".
After parts of 62 seasons in the Oakland district, baseball and football returned to the north side of the Allegheny River when Three Rivers Stadium opened. The site of the final incarnation of Exposition Park, relative to Three Rivers and the later PNC Park, was in between the two venues. Exposition Park had been on the southwest corner of South Avenue (later Robinson) to the north (first base) and School Street (later Scotland) to the east (third base). To the south (left field) was some open space and railroad tracks and the Allegheny. To the west (right field) was some open space and then Grant Street (later Galveston). That open space would eventually be the site of Three Rivers. To put it another way, the site of Exposition Park was the northeast corner of the parking lot east of Three Rivers.
In 1995, members of the Society for American Baseball Research placed a plaque where home plate is believed to have been located, in honor of one of the two sites of the first World Series (the other being in Boston). In 1998, a Pennsylvania Historical marker was placed at the site of the park.
On June 10, 1890, Jocko Fields of the Pittsburgh Burghers hit the first home run at Exposition Park. On April 24, 1891, Fred Carroll hit the first home run by a Pirate in the stadium. Under the management of Fred Clarke the Pirates won the National League pennant in 1901, 1902, and 1903. After the 1903 season, Dreyfuss and Boston Pilgrims's owner Henry Killilea organized a best of nine game series to match the two pennant winners against each other. The first World Series held three games in Boston before moving to Exposition Park with the Pirates leading the series 2–1. On October 6, 1903, 7,600 people attended the first World Series game in a National League stadium—the Pirates won by one run. The following day 12,000 people attended the game, forcing some spectators to stand behind a rope in the outfield. The Pirates lost three of four games at Exposition Park and eventually the Series. In 1907, Pittsburg's pitcher Nick Maddox threw a no-hitter at Exposition Park. The final Pirates's game at Exposition Park was played against the Chicago Cubs on June 24, 1909. The Pirates won the game 8–1 in front of 5,545 people, with George Gibson achieving the final National League hit in the ballpark.