Larry Dierker

Larry Dierker

September 22, 1946
6' 4"
215 lbs
Major League Debut:
9-22-1964 with HOU
Allstar Selections:
1998 Mgr

Larry Dierker used his fastball, curveball, screwball, slider, and changeup to reach double figures in victories nine times, and in 1969 became the first Astro to win 20. Coveted by 18 ML teams, the 6' 4" Hollywood, CA native signed with Houston and debuted on his 18th birthday in 1964. By 1969 Dierker had become the anchor of a staff that featured Don Wilson, Denny Lemaster, and Tom Griffin. Dierker, along with Jim Wynn, was one of the few highlights on a mediocre Astros squad.

His 1967 campaign was shortened by military service, and in 1973 he suffered a shoulder injury. On July 9, 1976 Dierker no-hit the Expos; the Montreal manager was Karl Kuehl, who had signed him. "I didn't think I would ever do it," exclaimed Dierker upon finally pitching a no-hitter after four near-misses. He left the Astros in 1976 as their career leader in virtually every pitching department.

Dierker remained close to the Astros organization after retiring in 1977. After two years spent working in the team's front office, he was hired as the Astros' radio and TV color commentator in 1979. In 1997 Dierker was named to replace Terry Collins (fired after a string of second-place finishes) as the team's manager, leading the team to an 84-78 record and a spot in the postseason for the first time in eleven years. Although Dierker's club was swept in three games by the NL East champion Atlanta Braves, it was an impressive showing for a rookie manager who'd never before skippered a team at any level.

The following season, the Astros held a comfortable lead in the NL Central in late July when they traded several minor league prospects to Seattle for dominating lefthander Randy Johnson. Propelled by Johnson's 10-1 run as an Astro, Houston streaked to a club-record 102 wins and found themselves favored by many to reach the World Series. Their dreams of a pennant came to a sudden halt, however, when San Diego's pitching staff shut down the hard-hitting Astros and defeated them three games to one in the Division Series. Dierker received some consolation after the season when he was named National League Manager of the Year.

Dierker's popularity in Houston was never more evident than in June, 1999, when he collapsed with a grand mal seizure in the Astros dugout during a game with San Diego. The game was suspended as Dierker was rushed to the hospital, where he was diagnosed with a dislodged collection of blood vessels in his brain. A month after his surgery, Dierker returned to the team and was greeted in his first game back by a sea of well-wishers; most of the Astrodome fans wore Hawaiian shirts (Dierker's favored off-duty apparel) and leis in honor of their beloved skipper. The team won 97 games and won its third consecutive NL Central title.

Thirty-five years after the opening of the Astrodome, Dierker was still on the team to witness the debut of Houston's new park, Enron Field. Unfortunately, the team could not make a smooth transition to a hitter's park and finished with a dismal 72-90 record. Dierker helped rebound the team in 2001, winning 93 games en route to its fourth division title during Dierker's fifth season at the helm.

After a particularly tough loss in the postseason, Dierker created a stir during a contentious post-game interview. The team decided that it was time to make a change and fired Dierker, although he "officially" resigned. In his book, "This Ain't Brain Surgery," Dierker conceded that the pressures of the job had worn on him and that a departure was in his best interests.

After 14 years as an accomplished pitcher, 19 years as a popular announcer, and 5 years as a successful manager, the Astros honored Dierker on May 19th, 2002, by retire his #49 jersey. He returned to the Astros' radio and television broadcasts, a position he returned to in 2004 and 2005. He currently serves as a community outreach executive for the Astros.He later penned My Team, in which he ruminated on the greatest players he'd been witness to in his years of baseball.

Larry Dierker
Share |