- C, DH
- April 19, 1983
- 6' 5"
- 230 lbs
- Major League Debut:
- 4-05-2004 with MIN
- Allstar Selections:
- 2006 SS, 2008 GG, 2008 SS, 2009 GG, 2009 MVP, 2009 SS, 2010 GG, 2010 SS
Quotes About Joe Mauer
"I watch Joe and he makes it look so easy. Everybody wants to hit like that. Everyone can kind of learn from the way he hits and his approach, as he doesn't seem to chase too much. Having a guy like that around helps me and everyone else, really." — Justin Morneau
Nine Other Players Who Debuted in 2004
Mauer has been compared to Johnny Bench, though as a young hitter, Mauer has not shown Bench's power.
Prior to his title in '06, the last catcher to win a batting crown had been Hall of Famer Ernie Lombardi... Justin Morneau... Jack Morris and Paul Molitor, two other products of the Minneapolis/St. Paul area, who went on to fine major league careers.
2001 graduate of Cretin-Derham Hall (MN) High School where he played baseball, basketball and football . . . Led football team to two straight appearances in the Minnesota Class 5A Championship Game, winning the state title in 2000 . . . Named Gatorade's National Player of the Year, Parade and USA Today Player of the Year and Reebok/ESPN High School All-American in football . . . Signed a letter of intent to play football at Florida State University . . . Was All-State in basketball in junior and senior seasons . . . tied a national high school record by homering in seven consecutive games... Mauer batted .323 against right-handed pitchers in 2005, sixth in the American League...
Injuries and Explanation for Missed Playing Time
Mauer was disabled with a medial meniscus tear in his left knee, from April 7-June 2, 2006. In mid-July, he re-injured that knee and missed the remainder of the season.
* 2003 Baseball America Minor League Player of the Year, Fort Myers Miracle, Florida State League & New Britain Rock Cats, Eastern League
* 2004 Topps All-Star Rookie Team
* 4-time AL All-Star (2006 & 2008-2010)
* AL MVP (2009)
* 3-time AL Gold Glove Winner (2008-2010)
* 4-time AL Silver Slugger Award Winner (2006 & 2008-2010)
* 3-time AL Batting Average Leader (2006, 2008 & 2009)
* AL On-Base Percentage Leader (2009)
* AL Slugging Percentage Leader (2009)
* AL OPS Leader (2009)
* 20-Home Run Seasons: 1 (2009)
On January 27, 1982, the Chicago Cubs make one of their best ...
On January 27, 1963, John Clarkson, Elmer Flick, Sam Rice an ...
On January 27, 1944, the Boston Braves fire manager Casey St ...