- OF, RF, 1B, LF
- February 9, 1925
- 186 lbs
- Major League Debut:
- 4-15-1947 with DET
- 4-time AL All-Star (1949, 1951, 1952 & 1957)
- 20-Home Run Seasons: 6 (1949-1952, 1956 & 1957)
- 30-Home Run Seasons: 1 (1956)
- 100 RBI Seasons: 5 (1949, 1950, 1956, 1957 & 1960)
* Before 1942 Season: Signed by the Detroit Tigers as an amateur free agent.
* August 14, 1952: Traded by the Detroit Tigers with Don Lenhardt, Dick Littlefield and Marlin Stuart to the St. Louis Browns for Bud Black, Jim Delsing, Ned Garver and Dave Madison.
* June 1, 1954: Traded by the Baltimore Orioles to the Cleveland Indians for Bob Chakales.
* December 2, 1958: Traded by the Cleveland Indians with Gary Geiger to the Boston Red Sox for Jim Piersall.
* September 8, 1961: Selected off waivers by the Detroit Tigers from the Boston Red Sox.
* May 5, 1963: Released by the Detroit Tigers.
* June 18, 1963: Signed as a Free Agent with the Minnesota Twins.
* October 15, 1963: Released by the Minnesota Twins.
The transaction information used here was obtained free of charge from and is copyrighted by RetroSheet.
On December 18, 1991, the Toronto Blue Jays sign free agent ...
On December 18, 1975, the Oakland A’s hire Chuck Tanner as ...
On December 18, 1974, Hall of Famer Harry Hooper dies at the ...
- 1954 World Series, Al Kaline, Al Rosen, All Star, Bill Glynn, Bobby Avila, Boston Red Sox, Cleveland Indians, Detroit Tigers, Dick Kokos, George Kell, Hal Newhouser, Harmon Killebrew, Jim Bunning, Johnny Groth, Larry Doby, Minnesota Twins, Norm Cash, Rocky Colavito, St. Louis Browns, Ted Williams, Vic Wertz, Winston-Salem State University