The 1886 Detroit Wolverines had the best winning percentage of any major league baseball team to play in Detroit. They compiled a record of 87-36 for a .707 winning percentage. Nevertheless, the Wolverines finished in second place, 2½ games behind the Chicago White Stockings.
Players Ranking Among Top 100 of All Time at Position
The following members of the 1886 Detroit Wolverines are among the Top 100 of all time at their positions, as ranked by The New Bill James Historical Baseball Abstract in 2001:
- Charlie Bennett: 49th best catcher of all time
- Dan Brouthers: 18th best first baseman of all time
- Fred Dunlap: 89th best second baseman of all time
- Hardy Richardson: 39th best second baseman of all time
- Deacon White: 76th best third baseman of all time
- Billy Shindle: 95th best third baseman of all time (played only 7 games for the 1886 Wolverines)
- Sam Thompson: 37th best right fielder of all time
More From Around the Web
On August 29, 1982, Gaylord Perry of the Seattle Mariners re ...
On August 29, 1977, Lou Brock of the St. Louis Cardinals bec ...
On August 29, 1973, Thurman Munson of the New York Yankees c ...