St. Louis Cardinals
St. Louis Cardinals
- Busch Stadium III (2006 - present)
- AAA Memphis Redbirds,AA Springfield Cardinals,Advanced A Palm Beach Cardinals,A Quad City River Bandits
- William DeWitt, Jr. and Fred Hanser
- General Manager:
- John Mozeliak
- Played As:
The Cardinals have had few logos throughout their history, although those logos have evolved over time. The first logo associated with the Cardinals was an interlocking "SL" that appeared on the team's caps and or sleeves as early as 1900. Those early uniforms usually featured the name "St. Louis" on white home and gray road uniforms which both had cardinal red accents. In 1920 the "SL" largely disappeared from the team's uniforms, and for the next 20 years the team wore caps that were white with red striping and a red bill. In 1922, the Cardinals wore uniforms for the first time that featured two cardinal birds perched on a baseball bat over the name "Cardinals" with the letter "C" of the word hooked over the bat. This logo, colloquially referred to as the "birds on the bat," originally had the birds perched on a black bat and "Cardinals" in printed letters. An alternate version of this logo with "St. Louis" replacing "Cardinals" appeared in 1930 and was the primary logo in 1931 and 1932 before "Cardinals" returned. In 1940 the now-familiar "StL" logo was introduced on the team's caps. The interlocking "StL" has undergone several slight modifications over the years but has appeared on the team's caps every year since. The first appearance of the "StL" in 1940 coincided with the introduction of navy blue as a uniform color. From 1940 until 1955 the team wore navy blue caps with red bills and a red interlocking "StL" while the jerseys featured both cardinal red and navy blue accents. In 1951 the "birds on the bat" logo was changed to feature a yellow baseball bat.
In 1956 the Cardinals changed their caps to entirely navy with a red "StL," removing the red bill. Also, for that one season, the Cardinals wore a script "Cardinals" wordmark on the their uniforms without the "birds on the bat." However, an updated version of the "birds on the bat" logo would return in 1957 with the word "Cardinals" now written in cursive beneath the bat. In 1962, the Cardinals were the first National League team to display players' names on the back of their jerseys. In 1964 the Cardinals changed their caps to be all red with a white interlocking "StL." In 1967, the birds on the bat emblem on the jersey was again tweaked, making the birds more realistic and changing the position of their tails relative to the bat. This version would remain on all Cardinals game jerseys through 1997. In 1971, following the trend in baseball at the time, the Cardinals replaced their more traditional flannel front-button shirts and pants with belts with new pullover knit jerseys and elastic waist pants. Yet another trend in baseball led the Cardinals to change their road uniforms from gray to light blue from 1976–1984. In 1992 the Cardinals returned to wearing more traditional button-down shirts and pants with belts. That same year they also began wearing an all-navy cap with a red "StL" on the road only while wearing the same red and white cap at home games. In 1998 the "birds on the bat" was updated for the first time in 30 years with more detailed birds and bolder letters. In 1998 the Cardinals also introduced a cap featuring a single cardinal bird perched on a bat, which they wear only on Sunday home games. The new birds on the bat design was tweaked the very next year, with yellow beaks and white eyes replacing the red beaks and yellow eyes of the 1998 version. Uniform numbers also returned to the front of the jerseys in 1999 after a two year absence. Over the years the Cardinals have also used other marketing logos that never appeared on uniforms that showed anthropomorphized cardinals in a pitching stance, swinging a baseball bat, or wearing a baseball cap
On September 19, 2007, New York's Andy Pettitte won his 200t ...
On September 19, 2002, Kansas City Royals coach Tom Gamboa i ...
On September 19, 1983, Joe Morgan of the Philadelphia Philli ...